Title: Washington Advocate
Reports to: Senior Vice President
Type: Full or Part-time
The Jewish Council for Public Affairs (JCPA) is the policy hub of the Jewish community relations field. We advise and support the field by convening the Jewish community to deliberate key issues, and by identifying and developing policies, strategies, and programs for our network. Through our network of 16 national agencies and 125 local Jewish community relations councils, we have an unparalleled capacity to mobilize grassroots Jewish activism in order to achieve a more just world.
The Washington Advocate will help coordinate and support national coalition activities, monitor developments of the federal administration, and track legislation in Congress.
The Washington Advocate will work closely with the Senior Vice President and Senior Policy Associate, based in New York, to:
- Actively participate and engage in select coalitions working on JCPA’s policy priorities. Represent JCPA at national events, conferences, and meetings
- Keep the Policy team informed about current and emerging issues and developments of importance to the JCPA network. Assist in devising advocacy strategies to help educate, engage, and mobilize the Jewish community at the national level.
- Author regular legislative updates for JCPA’s field by writing content and aggregating relevant information from partner agencies.
- Write action alerts, policy backgrounders, and other materials, as needed. Assist in preparing written
materials for JCPA’s Board of Directors, field, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Advocate on behalf of JCPA with Members of Congress, and Administration and Department officials.
- Help JCPA President host meetings of the Washington representatives of Jewish organizations.
- Assist in organizing advocacy days and meetings in Washington for the Jewish community relations network and meetings between JCPA principals and key influentials.
Core Knowledge and Skills
The ideal candidate has a graduate degree in political science, public policy, or related field, or a JD. However, candidates with a Bachelor’s degree plus at least 2-3 years of experience working in federal policy on Capitol Hill are
strongly encouraged to apply. Successful candidates will also possess the following traits:
- Experience with advocacy or nonprofit organizations, particularly those in the Jewish communal
- Strong understanding of Washington’s political and advocacy scene;
- Experience or demonstrated interest in criminal justice reform and other civil rights, including but not limited to voting rights;
- Be a proactive self-starter with strong initiative;
- Ability to complete multiple tasks and high volume of work on tight deadlines;
- Excellent communication skills, including research and writing skills;
- Be a team player and maintain professionalism in stressful environments; and
- Be a creative thinker who can generate strategic campaign ideas;
Application instructions: Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your application materials as Word or PDF attachments in a single email with “JCPA Washington Advocate” as the subject line. Position will be open until filled.
The Jewish Council for Public Affairs is an Equal Opportunity Employer that prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. JCPA conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.